At the Bronx branch of the New York Public Library, folks in their 50s are being offered a course on how to navigate Facebook. They’re told:
- Don’t befriend somebody you don’t know.
People are doing that all the time.
- Don’t announce on Facebook that you are leaving home or you may get robbed.
I’ve seen people announce what credit card they have.
- Only write about the barbecue you’re planning if you want 1,000 people to show up.
- Don’t “poke” people—it’s annoying.
- If you’re 54 years old, don’t post a profile picture taken when you were 17.
I’ve known a toupee-wearing, doddering old man to post a profile photograph from his salad days.