One of the most stressful jobs is that of a newspaper reporter, along with that of an airline pilot, a firefighter, a police officer, a corporate executive. This doesn’t surprise me, in the least.
These are some of the factors that make a newsie sweat.
- Meeting deadlines, every single day, day after day.
- Covering elections.
- When your phone dies, without a warning.
- Readers’ comments.
- When your sources don’t call back.
- “No comment” comments.
- When your editor asks if you can write a brief before the end of your shift.
- Working sleep-deprived.
- When you notice, in the middle of an interview, your voice recorder is not on.
- When someone threatens to sue you.
- Did I make that change in my lede?
- When your computer freezes, and you realize you haven’t saved your story.
- When your editor asks if you could take photos yourself, instead of sending a photog.
- When you see your paycheck.